Tuesday 14 February 2023

Rainbow chard isn't all that tender

I sowed my chard in summer last year because I'd mislaid the seeds. despite the late start it grew well and I had a few small harvests later in the autumn before the cold weather set in. On the whole the winter that came was fairly mild but we did have two cold snaps withe temperaures were below zero every night for a couple of weeks, it was enough to kill some brassicas and that's quite unusual I've not really known that except during the exceptional winter of 2010. The chard suffered with die back as I'd expected but I decided to cover it with enviromesh (fleece never seems to last on our veg plot it gets damaged by the wet and wind and just creates a mess) this seems to have been enough to get it through the second prolonged cold snap and it's now growing away so hopefully I'll get more harvests in the spring and I'll also sow more and earlier this time. Must get better at successional sowings! #allotment #growyourown #veg #chard #rainbowchard



No comments:

Post a Comment